Onkyo4k Online Sharing Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to play Blu-ray & 4k Disc

XuanXit

Super Moderators
Staff member
Last edited:
First question.
I currently still struggle to play 4K UHD movies iso/folder. I don't care if it's HTPCs, UHD players, or android boxes. Just tell/show us how you currently play your 4K UHD movies iso/folder.
Thanks and I appreciate it.

First question.
I currently still struggle to play 4K UHD movies iso/folder. I don't care if it's HTPCs, UHD players, or android boxes. Just tell/show us how you currently play your 4K UHD movies iso/folder.
Thanks and I appreciate it.
I copy the the entire UHD folder to an external hard drive, connect it to my Oppo UHD player via USB. I am able to play all the movies I got from here this way except kick-ass.

I ear and read about Zappiti, i don't have one, but many people give it an excellent review.
it's a good multimedia platform too.
The difference is especially at the level of the multimedia manager.
Zappeti uses its own manager, while Zidoo uses ZDMC (slightly modified SPMC or KODI). It's nice for those who already know Kodi.
After this is just a personal opinion, but the image quality of the Zidoo is beautiful.
And there is a very good follow-up of Team Zidoo, concerning the firmwares .....

After it is mostly a personal choice and certainly a question of use that we want to make ...

I copy the the entire UHD folder to an external hard drive, connect it to my Oppo UHD player via USB. I am able to play all the movies I got from here this way except kick-ass.
Really? I thought Oppo player cannot play BD iso/folder so I presume it cannot handle UHD folder as well.
Hmm, I will give it a try somehow.

I'm also using the Oppo UDP-203 with a external HD connected to the back USB input. Plays UHD folders perfectly and it can handle Dolby Vision movies.

Hi,
Can anyone know how can i burn the UHD Bluray titles onto a BD-XL for playback later on standalone uhd players?
thank you...
P.S. i already try with imgburn and it can't burn triple layer...

I ear and read about Zappiti, i don't have one, but many people give it an excellent review.
Zappiti is good but their animation/transition not so good
They had beautiful database and can read blu-ray menu with native player not something like Kodi, RKMC. SPMC etc

Zidoo and Himedia is good too, they are offering Android OS, just in case u wanna stream Youtube
Popcorn Hour A500 really good for media player because Dolby Atmos & DTS X audio passthrough and nice soundcard (Sabre) but I'm not sure with 4K capability

my reference is reviewer at cnx software, roberto jorge, redskull
u can googling it

MovieFreak1974

❤ VIP Lifetime ❤
The cheap lg 4k blu ray player does this flawlessly also. Believe its the 870 model. It just came out for the holidays. It has to be the stream file. Will not work with remux's of 4k. Blu ray remux's yes, 4k remux no. The raw files play as if the disc was inserted. It can be bought for $99. Worth every penny.

I don't have 4k set up.. but I do play bluray files off external HD. The bluray player I use is oldskool (sony bdps580) which is cinavia free just so long as I don't update to latest firmware on it. I have it updated to the firmware w/o the cinavia that they tried to push out. I believe this is the last sony bluray player that doesn't come w/ cinavia built into it.

I download the full BD onto external HD, and move the bdmv folder up to top level. I plug in the external HD to usb connection of the bluray player, and it see's it as a bluray.

If the file I download is ISO, then I just use ISObuster software to copy the BDMV to external HD and do the same.

One good thing about having it on external HD is you can just delete the movie if you think its crap =) This way I don't have spindles of disc lying around.

OR you can just use hdmi from your computer to reciever to play the file if you are lazy. I use the latest CCCP codec and use MPC-HC to play. I use this to play mostly anime.

Playing UHD movies with HTPC made of Windows 10 with Kaby Lake Pentium G6420 with GTX 1050TI.
Running with MPC-HC + MadVR all movies running like a charm
I started thinking/going this way from beginning, but dropped it off because I've heard it doesn't play 4K UHD movies iso/folder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

utshiha

Blu-ray vs 4K
you can use Cyberlink power DVD ultra to watch blu-ray or 4k ultra is on T.V too

Really? I thought Oppo player cannot play BD iso/folder so I presume it cannot handle UHD folder as well.
Hmm, I will give it a try somehow.
Of course you can't play iso. But as of now I can play the UHD folder directly through USB. I click on the folder and it starts playing flawlessly like a disc on my UDP-203 Oppo player.

I started thinking/going this way from beginning, but dropped it off because I've heard it doesn't play 4K UHD movies iso/folder. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Of course you can't play iso. But as of now I can play the UHD folder directly through USB. I click on the folder and it starts playing flawlessly like a disc on my UDP-203 Oppo player.

I you want to play a UHD blu-ray iso you can use dvdfab media player or cyberlink powerdvd ultra + dvdfab virtual drive.
In both cases your computer hardware configuration must support hardware decoding for 4k UHD blu-rays.
For example you must have a graphics card geoforce 1060 or superior and a monitor that support 4K resolutions.

For those who think we can use PowerDVD to play.
- PowerDVD can play regular/normal Bluray iso itself very well, but it cannot open/play 4K UHD Bluray iso/folder. All I have is a bank black screen. I'm using a real 4K 10-bit panel TV. Not sure if I need a dedicated graphic card? My currently Intel CPU i5 7th gen is not strong enough for 4K 24Hz movies?
- Doesn't matter what it is, sometimes at some movies, after playing for a while, there is a error message on the screen: “Copy detected (or a rip tool is running if you are trying to watch this movie on a pc).” This warning message is displayed when playing back the copied movies downloaded from this forum. And again, all I have is a blank black screen.

From these above reasons, PowerDVD (I'm using PowerDVD 17) is useless software player to me. And unfortunately, we only have one software player for 4K movies running on PCs now in the market.
Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Un alternative:
"DVDFab Media Player plays back all the video formats you have, including the HEVC (H.265), UHD (Ultra High Definition) and 4K videos, as well as DVD/Blu-ray ISO image files and folders, even unprotected 4K UHD Blu-ray ISO files and folders, with native navigation menu and HDR10 support."

utshiha

Blu-ray vs 4K
- PowerDVD can play regular/normal Bluray iso itself very well, but it cannot open/play 4K UHD Bluray iso/folder. All I have is a bank black screen. I'm using a real 4K 10-bit panel TV. Not sure if I need a dedicated graphic card? My currently Intel CPU i5 7th gen is not strong enough for 4K 24Hz movies?
- Doesn't matter what it is, sometimes at some movies, after playing for a while, there is a error message on the screen: “Copy detected (or a rip tool is running if you are trying to watch this movie on a pc).” This warning message is displayed when playing back the copied movies downloaded from this forum. And again, all I have is a blank black screen.

From these above reasons, PowerDVD (I'm using PowerDVD 17) is useless software player to me. And unfortunately, we only have one software player for 4K movies running on PCs now in the market.

you have to test your pc to see if it can play 4k movie

How to know if your PC can play Ultra 4K HD Movie Download the CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor to find out ( Here ) .

and about “Copy detected (or a rip tool is running if you are trying to watch this movie on a pc)

the movie have problam not the software

You need a graphics card that supports HDCP 2.2 for power dvd to work

you have to test your pc to see if it can play 4k movie

How to know if your PC can play Ultra 4K HD Movie Download the CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor to find out ( Here ) .

Thanks, I'll try this file to see if it works.
and about “Copy detected (or a rip tool is running if you are trying to watch this movie on a pc)
the movie have problam not the software
Yes, you're right. It's movies' problem. On some Bluray discs, Hollywood inserted codes that detect copies ripped (illegally) and the software (in this case is PowerDVD) cannot bypass (or NOT allow to bypass) and finally stuck.