Hi All, if you enjoy browsing this site, please consider sending in a donation to help us pay for our monthly server costs. Thank you so much!
>> <<

Note: Support to buy cheap uploaded.net [UL] account -40% off

If my site is down, then I'll update the latest news in here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014112668002

How do you rip UHD disc to MKV?

Discussion in 'Quick Guide' started by razorwing, Oct 14, 2017.

1. razorwing

razorwing VIP Members

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but couldn't find a more suitable place.

I see there are alot of 4k movies listed where its just the content of the disc (not remux). I am wondering how do people convert UHD disc to MKV as MakeMKV does not support it currently.

Any help or guidance greatly received.

Regards,

RazorWing

2. sunday1

sunday1 New Member

3. razorwing

razorwing VIP Members

Thank you :)

4. tyee

tyee Member

That's just a muxer once you've ripped it. To get it off the disc you have to either play from a standalone player and use a capture card that bypasss hdcp or use certain splitters that do that or rip from a disc drive on your computer but I have only heard of a Pioneer drive that can read them and only if the full computer supports doing this with certain hardware and cpu. If others know more info please post and tell us.

razorwing likes this.
  5. tyee

tyee Member

Forgot to mention, that computer has to use an app like AnyDVD but that does not work yet for UHD discs AFAIK.

6. tyee

tyee Member

Well sorry about the above posts, looks like I'm behind the times. You may have heard a russian group has created DeUHD, which is now proven to work at ripping UHD from your PC. Just have to have a supported drive and purchase the app, which is pretty expensive as of now. I will wait till MakeMKV works. Google for more info.

7. TWISE

TWISE Member

For those who want to convert UHD source material to HD (1080): Unless the source material uses the REC709 colorspace, YOUR COLORS WON'T BE CORRECT.

After many months of research and experimenting, I have not found any conversion/encoding utilities that will truly convert the REC2020 color (typical in most UHD) to REC709 (used in HD). Conversion or re-encoding to HD will still have the REC2020 color, resulting in a 'washed-out' look. (Note: DVDFab will 'say' it gave you REC709, and even tag the file as REC709, but no color conversion is actually performed.)

A very good way to view REC2020 colorspace material on HD TVs (or on non-HDR UHD TVs) is by using the FREE software utility MADVR. You'll need a robust PC and a workhorse video card (like NVidia's GT1050 as a minimum), because MADVR converts and shades real-time, but the picture and color quality are excellent!

8. gringott

gringott Sick Call Ranger

I have been using MakeMKV seems to work great now, not sure when it first supported doing this. But it is working now.

9. TWISE

TWISE Member

Which version of MakeMKV are you using?

10. tyee

tyee Member

The latest works fine- read here -

Code:
    Sorry, you need to register or login to see this BBcode !

11. TWISE

TWISE Member

That pertains to MakeMKV being able to read/rip a UHD disc. My post was specific to color domains. Is MakeMKV capable of converting the REC2020 color to REC709?

12. tyee

tyee Member

@TWISE

Haha! Yes I spent a long time trying to figure out UHD to HD and finally found a command line that works!

Get the latest ffmpeg.exe and put this in a batch file -

Code:
    Sorry, you need to register or login to see this BBcode !
    I just tried encoding a small segment again and it works!

TWISE likes this.
  13. TWISE

TWISE Member

Very cool! I'll give it a shot.

14. gringott

gringott Sick Call Ranger

Personally, I was replying to the OP. I am not interested in and have no use for downgrading a UHD disk.

15. TWISE

TWISE Member

My mistake.