Onkyo4k Online Sharing Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you rip UHD disc to MKV?

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but couldn't find a more suitable place.

I see there are alot of 4k movies listed where its just the content of the disc (not remux). I am wondering how do people convert UHD disc to MKV as MakeMKV does not support it currently.

Any help or guidance greatly received.

Regards,

RazorWing

tyee

Registered
That's just a muxer once you've ripped it. To get it off the disc you have to either play from a standalone player and use a capture card that bypasss hdcp or use certain splitters that do that or rip from a disc drive on your computer but I have only heard of a Pioneer drive that can read them and only if the full computer supports doing this with certain hardware and cpu. If others know more info please post and tell us.

tyee

Registered
Well sorry about the above posts, looks like I'm behind the times. You may have heard a russian group has created DeUHD, which is now proven to work at ripping UHD from your PC. Just have to have a supported drive and purchase the app, which is pretty expensive as of now. I will wait till MakeMKV works. Google for more info.

tyee

Registered
@TWISE

Haha! Yes I spent a long time trying to figure out UHD to HD and finally found a command line that works!

Get the latest ffmpeg.exe and put this in a batch file -

Code:
ffmpeg32.exe -i ".\tonysStandard.avs" -vf zscale=tin=smpte2084:min=bt2020nc:pin=bt2020:rin=tv:t=smpte2084:m=bt2020nc:p=bt2020:r=tv,zscale=t=linear:npl=100,format=gbrpf32le,zscale=p=bt709,tonemap=tonemap=hable:desat=0,zscale=t=bt709:m=bt709:r=tv,format=yuv420p -strict -1 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | x264.exe --stdin y4m --preset slow --crf 21 --tune film --level 4.1 --output "video1.264" - 

pause
exit
I just tried encoding a small segment again and it works!

gringott

Sick Call Ranger
That pertains to MakeMKV being able to read/rip a UHD disc. My post was specific to color domains. Is MakeMKV capable of converting the REC2020 color to REC709?
Personally, I was replying to the OP. I am not interested in and have no use for downgrading a UHD disk.

speaking of UHD to mkv, why would ppl want to degrade/downgrade the experience?

Also, i notice that ppl offer UHD untouched on this site. What player app do u use to play these content?